Elder Mitchel Cordy

Elder Mitchel Cordy

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 44 - August 18, 2014






Another week in San Fernando. Quite a crazy, odd, but good week! 

Monday we had couple people planning to go play soccer with us for pday, but we ended up just getting to montevideo and 4 people showed up. We went to a local chapel and played pool and foosball for the day. It was actually super fun. Then we had a FAmily home evening with the Desalvo family. They had a friend over, who is named Flor De Liz. We talked a lot to her and she was super interested in us and what we do here. At the end of the night, we had full bellies, a couple good laughs, and a new investigator!!!!!!!! 
On Tuesday we had probably the best zone conference that Ive ever been to, in terms of what we learned. We talked about converting yourself, the young rich teenager (joven rico and I dont know the right translation) in the bible. The story is in Mark 10 or 15. I cant remember exactly. We talked about the law of sacrifice and the law of consecration and the difference of coming to and following Christ. It takes a lot to come on a mission (Come to Christ), but it takes a lot to be a Consecrated Missionary, someone who leaves EVERYTHING behind, does EVERYTHING you can, and gives EVERYTHING you can to help the Lords work to progress. Awesome conference. 
Today is HOT but besides today, its been pretty darn cold. I gave Elder Morales a couple winter things because he was dying, but we are doing good now. One night in particular, we were out and we were about 40 minutes from our house. We had been out for a while and it wasnt cold, however, a quick storm came in with crazy cold and strong winds. The only things I had were a sweater and scarf. I also remembered that I have the power of prayer constantly, something that we always teach people. We put it into practice and we said a simple prayer asking the Lord to not stop the winds, but help us stay warm and not get sick. Literally we walked less than 10 more steps and I was WARM. I havent had a ton of crazy experiences with prayer, but I KNOW that it was the Lord that helped me, through our faith and trust in a small prayer. (We never got sick either)
Leticia and Luis. They are a family that only the dad is a member, but inactive. They have been having a lot of doubts and we have visited them a lot lately. They told us one night that they wanted to talk to us and teach us the lesson this time. We listened to them and all their doubts, answered all their questions, and we decided to stop by every two weeks or so to see how there are. 
Valentina, the recent convert from this year, had a rough week too. She has had a lot of doubts about the church and its basically because she was offended a couple of times. I have learned a lot about how to be a good member and how to ALWAYS support people. 
Claudio and Karen are a couple that we found this week too. Claudio is a member who hasnt been to church for a while. His wife, Karen is not a member. They are married, and they just moved here a while ago. Claudio is a firefighter in Carrasco, which is about an hour and a half away. He has trouble being able to go to church now but he committed to go next week, because work permits him to. 
One day this week we had two lunches. We have three meals a day and snacks in between from generous people. I will get fat here, even though I walk MANY kilometers a day. 
Oh yeah, my birthday was this week. It felt like a normal day and I dont feel much older though, haha. I woke up and opened two packages that I have received, from my parents and my grandparents. Thanks so much by the way, they were great packages. I have 3 cakes to bake now. :) Today was the dia del niño also. Its literally the day of the child. Just like mothers day or fathers day, but for kids. Church was full of candy wrappers and everything else good for you. I just got assigned to play piano in church, which will be fun. I actually really enjoy it now, and I dont get as nervous. We had choir practice after church, practicing for stake conference this week. I am the only bass that showed up, and it was hard not to get upset with people that dont understand music. I enjoy singing a lot now though. I didnt get any special cakes from anyone from church, but I got a couple nice cards, phone calls, and emails from friends from home, the mission, and members in Uruguay. The Hermanas in our ward told a ton of people and they got me a couple snacks and a nice card. Everyone in church was saying happy birthday to me. It was super fun. 

This was a pretty good week, and I love that all my problems now are with people that are in my area. Its really cool to be able to come unto Christ and try to follow Him every day as his servant. We are leaving everything behind to be able to help other people and bring the world its truth. I love that I can be a missionary and I am super glad that I get to spend my whole year as a 19 year old kid serving in Uruguay. Yeah I am still a kid! I am not sure I want to grow up yet! I am loving that I can get to spend all day smiling, helping people stand up, walk, learn more about Christ, and help them change their lives for the better. Its a beautiful work and I know that its guided by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Eternal Life will be the "greatest gift of God" but the spirit world will be pretty awesome too, being able to preach the OBVIOUS truth to everyone else there, for who knows how long! 

I love you all and I hope you have a wonderful week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment